Alabama drug trafficking charges may be brought when certain large amounts of drugs are involved. The law presumes that were certain amounts of drugs are involved the purpose behind the possession of the drugs is for widespread distribution. Alabama statute regarding Alabama drug trafficking charges breaks down the statute into various types of drugs, various amounts, and various mandatory minimum prison sentences and fines depending on the type of drugs involved in the amount of drugs involved. Alabama’s laws on drug trafficking are very harsh, and include provisions for mandatory prison time, extremely high mandatory fines, and lengthy prison terms.
Under the Alabama drug trafficking statute, Alabama drug trafficking charges can result in a mandatory minimum prison sentence.
MANDATORY 3 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE
- 2.2 pounds, but less than 100 pounds of marijuana*
- 28 grams, but less than 500 grams of cocaine
- 4 grams, but less than 14 grams of an opiate, morphine, or heroin
- 4 grams, but less than 14 grams of LSD
- 1,000 pills, but less than 5,000 pills containing methaqualone (Quaalude)
- 500 pills, but less than 1,000 pills containing hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- 28 grams , but less than 500 grams of X /Ecstasy
- 4 grams, but less than 14 grams of PCP
- 28 grams, but less than 500 grams of Amphetamines
- 28 grams, but less than 500 grams of Methamphetamine
- 56 grams, but less than 500 grams of synthetic controlled substances
In these cases the drug trafficking statute requires that the Court impose a mandatory fine of $50,000.
MANDATORY 5 YEAR PRISON SENTENCE
Under the current Alabama drug trafficking statute, the following amounts result in a mandatory minimum sentence of five years:
- 100 pounds but less than 500 pounds of marijuana
- 500 grams but less than 1 kg of cocaine
Under the Alabama drug trafficking statute, Alabama drug trafficking charges can result in higher sentences, including sentences of mandatory minimums of 15, 25, and life without parole where the cases involve certain higher amounts of drugs.
For more information on the specific sentences and punishments based upon the types of drugs involved, please see our specific pages giving specific information based upon the drug type including the following: Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates / Morphine / Heroin, and LSD.
If you find yourself charged with Alabama drug trafficking charges it is imperative to have the assistance of an Alabama criminal defense lawyer who is versed and experienced in handling Alabama drug trafficking charges and cases. The lawyers at Bradford Ladner LLP have handled numerous Alabama drug trafficking charges in the past with great success, obtaining positive outcomes for our clients. Please call us today for a free consultation regarding your case.